Some newbee questions about DD-WRT on WRT54G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nanestev
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:39    Post subject: Some newbee questions about DD-WRT on WRT54G Reply with quote
Hi all. As a newbee I would like to ask several questions about the DD-WRT v.23 SP1 firmware I've installed on my Linksys WRT54G v3.1.
1. I've noticed that the WLAN activity light indicator on my unit flashes every 2 seconds, when I'm sure that no WiFi device is connected at that time. Is my unit broadcasting or something? I haven't notice that while my router worked with the stock firmware. Do you have any ideas what is it and how to turn this signal off because it seems to me unnecessary?
2. Are there any health concerns about boosting the unit transmition power above the the stock value of 28 mW. I have a pregnant wife at home, so I'm concerned whether there will be any impact upon her?
3. In order to connect to the internet my provider asks me to dial a VPN connection every time. Is there any way to set my unit to connect to this VPN automatically?
Thank you in advance for your time.
Best regards.
Sponsor
GrumpY54gsv4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) broadcasr your network SSID .
2) depends of your needs .... I lowered mine to 15 mW.
3) don't know

WaS
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:01    Post subject: Re: Some newbee questions about DD-WRT on WRT54G Reply with quote
nanestev wrote:

1. I've noticed that the WLAN activity light indicator on my unit flashes every 2 seconds, when I'm sure that no WiFi device is connected at that time.

I suppose it's STP: Messages that are sent out regularly, in order to monitor the
available connections in your network and ensure unambiguous paths.
In case I'm correct, disabling STP on the page Setup/Basic Setup should make
it go away. NB: Turning off STP is safe, as long as you have no "loops" in your LAN.

nanestev wrote:

2. Are there any health concerns about boosting the unit transmition power above the the stock value of 28 mW.

Yes -- the health of your router may suffer Cool because of overheating,

And I'd say that constantly being concerned would perhaps be worse for the
health than the actual danger itself. I'd regard this already as a sufficient
reason not to increase the radio power -- even with the risk being zero.

Seriously: I do understand that you are double-cautious.
Btw: Congratulations! :-)

nanestev wrote:

3. In order to connect to the internet my provider asks me to dial a VPN connection every time. Is there any way to set my unit to connect to this VPN automatically?

There is a particular "VPN edition" of DD-WRT. See the Wiki
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN , section "Client mode ".
I have no experience with it, but maybe this is what you are looking for.
mandrake
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I'm also a newbie, and I have a question related to the original topic poster's question.

Exactly how high can one ramp up the radio output?
I set it to 32 for now, but how high can I go without frying the router (Linksys WRT-54g v4)?
Reason I'm asking is, router is upstairs on south side of townhouse, and I want to use my laptop downstairs on southside of townhouse.
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
how high... hundreds of posts on here, only a search button away...

75 is generally considered the max, some have luck above that, some fry in days. in general, raising your power may not even help though, if you want more signal get a better antenna. think of it this way... you can yell all you want, but unless you upgrade your ears you won't be able to communicate better with someone a mile away.
mandrake
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol
Thanks for the response, and I will search better next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: