Obtain ISP IP on Both device and Port 1 on WRT54GS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mindseyex2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 0:51    Post subject: Obtain ISP IP on Both device and Port 1 on WRT54GS Reply with quote
I Have a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT v23 and I was wondering if it is possible to get this device to obtain an ISP IP (24.x.x.x) on both the device, and port 1 of the switch. The other ports of the router should give out local addresses (192.168.x.x)

Is this possible?
Sponsor
dvpatel
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope can't do that. What you can do is port forward traffic to your ISP IP to the PC on port 1's 192.168.x.x address. For best results use a static address for Port 1.

I am no networking genius but I am using the same concept on my older Belkin router and am in the process of migrating all to the newly acquired WRT54GS version 1.0 running DD-WRT v23 Standard.

:)
mindseyex2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks dvpatal, I am aware of port forwarding, but that is not how I would like to do it. I want this one box (my actual router) to have a an IP from my ISP. The wireless router is just there so I can have wireless clients connect and still be outside of my network. I could configure the router to not use DHCP, and operate as a switch, but then every client would get an IP from my ISP, which is a problem.

Well, if it can't be done, I'll have to come up with another idea... Maybe I'll just use the spare NIC in my server with some strict shorewall rules to secure the wireless segment.
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
what you asking is possible with some creative IP tables rules, but the problem is you don't have two IP addresses. Your ISP only will allow you to grab one, as soon as you grab the second the first will die so it won't work.

why not just put wifi in a different vlan?
mindseyex2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
My ISP will allow me to use as many as I want, but I am only supposed to use a max of 2. It is part of my bundle. I was using 5+ at one point. That is when I got a phone call from them and they told me to either stop using so many, or to pay an extra $10 each for them. Naturally I just stopped using them as I was only testing things.

Currently I have a 10/100 switch plugged into my cable modem, and it works, but I would prefer to have a router where port 1 on the public side, and the rest of the ports are routed with private addresses...

The reason why I thought DD-WRT may be able to do it is because somewhere on this website I found instructions on how to make the WAN port to work as a regular LAN port (essentially making it a 5 port wireless router)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: