High load on newer builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aha, so there we have it! That is exactly what I and some others have described, when having the self refreshing page with stats open you get high(er) loads.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
SuperG wrote:
I never really realized how much CPU using syslog actually takes. This is especially true when doing any P2P (worst probably with Bittorrent, especially with DHT). The CPU usage for syslogd at one point was 50%, and the highest thing on the list Shocked

SuperG

I'm wondering, but does that effect last when you stop using DHT? Mainline DHT has the side-effect of sending DHT-UDP packets to you for almost a week after your last connection (at about one packet every two seconds). Eats up 10 to 20MB of bandwidth a day Sad
ghost48
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

what is bcrelay doing? It eats up around 25% of my CPU time. If the router reboots, it starts after a couple of minutes to grap CPU time again.

I am using DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (06/27/06) vpn.
BigL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
no its just enough of your ie is open on the statistics site

But I only open webpage to check load and close it.
SuperG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Klaus_1250 wrote:
SuperG wrote:
I never really realized how much CPU using syslog actually takes. This is especially true when doing any P2P (worst probably with Bittorrent, especially with DHT). The CPU usage for syslogd at one point was 50%, and the highest thing on the list Shocked

SuperG

I'm wondering, but does that effect last when you stop using DHT? Mainline DHT has the side-effect of sending DHT-UDP packets to you for almost a week after your last connection (at about one packet every two seconds). Eats up 10 to 20MB of bandwidth a day Sad

It does, just not as much, the packets are less frequent for me, then when the torrent is actually running.

Also, if and when it gets real bad, I just force a new IP address from my provider, then all gone :)

SuperG
BigL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've the same firmware but switched off remote mamagement and HTTPS on LAN. So this is default setup. So we'll see what will happen.
jkondas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 20:59    Post subject: bcrelay cpu usage Reply with quote
Hi, I have a problem with high load averages too.

hw: Linksys WRT54G v3.1
fw: DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) vpn

I enabled the PPTP server, and worked fine, however after the PPTP client disconnecting, bcrelay started to eat up CPU resources. After several hours of running the load average was about 1.10. After a "kill -HUP bcrelay" the load went back to 0.02.
BigL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigL wrote:
I've the same firmware but switched off remote mamagement and HTTPS on LAN. So this is default setup. So we'll see what will happen.

Simple info:

Code:
Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (07/02/06) vpn
Time: 23:29:40 up 3 days, 3:20, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

So it seems that HTTPS or WWW on WAN or both on WAn makes high load.
jkondas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 21:55    Post subject: Re: bcrelay cpu usage Reply with quote
jkondas wrote:
I enabled the PPTP server, and worked fine, however after the PPTP client disconnecting, bcrelay started to eat up CPU resources. After several hours of running the load average was about 1.10. After a "kill -HUP bcrelay" the load went back to 0.02.

Update: the CPU load is caused by high Internet traffic, but it is unclear, how bcrelay fits into this. The traffic is unicast, so not related to broadcast packets (does bcrelay intercept *all* traffic on the br0 interface?).
dcd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigL wrote:

i am telling you, when i switched off https my problems went away
heffeque
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't want to open a new thread so I'll put it here. Why aren't the changelogs being updated every once in a while? v24 changelog is from 2005 :-/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
dcd wrote:
BigL wrote:

i am telling you, when i switched off https my problems went away

Yes - I remeber. Now BS shoud read it and think about it.

But it's not a 100% HTTPS bug - as I mentioned I've also WRT54G v3 with the same firmware with HTTPS on WAN & LAN ad take a look:

Code:
Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (07/02/06) vpn
Time: 19:42:26 up 10 days, 6:27, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
heffeque wrote:
I didn't want to open a new thread so I'll put it here. Why aren't the changelogs being updated every once in a while? v24 changelog is from 2005 :-/

you can get the changelog informations from the bug tracker too (look for resolved entries)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ooook... Neutral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghost48 wrote:

what is bcrelay doing? It eats up around 25% of my CPU time. If the router reboots, it starts after a couple of minutes to grap CPU time again.

It eats CPU on my router too. I am using v23-SP1-voip. Everything works just fine after I kill this process. Who needs it anyway?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: