TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Wireless drops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Deltaforce229
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 20:43    Post subject: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Wireless drops Reply with quote
I have a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) std - build 14311. It works great, high speeds, all the features work, etc. However randomly the wireless will stop working. I will still be connected to the router but I wont be able to connect to anything including the routers web admin and sometimes the telnet admin. Restarting the router fixes this but is only a temporary solution. Is there a more permanent solution? wireless settings maybe?
Sponsor
uziza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my opinion, Atheros + dd-wrt = bad wireless!
Deltaforce229
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's not at all helpful.
bbjayo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi There,

Have a read through http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

I've also had problems with dropouts when using WPA2/AES security. Changing to TKIP seemed to fix it (I have only g adapters so doing this didn't cause any issues for me)

Are you getting many RX or TX errors? Maybe do a site survey and see if the channel is in use by something else.

If you haven't already, try flashing to version 14939 - ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-12-10-r14929/tplink_tl-wr1043nd/

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss dd-wrt and atheros. I have a WR1043ND and it runs 10 wireless devices and 5 wired clients quite happily.

Hope this helps.

bb
toto2700
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 17:19    Post subject: Re: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Wireless drops Reply with quote
Deltaforce229 wrote:
I have a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) std - build 14311. It works great, high speeds, all the features work, etc. However randomly the wireless will stop working. I will still be connected to the router but I wont be able to connect to anything including the routers web admin and sometimes the telnet admin. Restarting the router fixes this but is only a temporary solution. Is there a more permanent solution? wireless settings maybe?

I'm having the same problem with TL-WR1043ND v1.7 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 std - build 14896.
davidreaton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 20:47    Post subject: dd wrt with TP Link 1043 Reply with quote
I have the same experience with the 1043 and all releases of ddWRt. I've noticed something simple - maybe can help with debugging.

TP Link 1043ND V1.1, ddWRT build 14896. Set up as an Access Point only, using the WIKI instructions. 10 wireless clients connected and all is well. After about 12 hours, all wireless connection have dropped, and the SSID broadcast has stopped. Logging on to the router and all looks OK. If I go to the wireless tab, and click APPLY SETTINGS, the wireless starts up and everything is OK for another 12 hours. Please note - even if I have not changed any settings, clicking APPLY SETTINGS solves the problem.

This doesn't tell me anything, but if you're a ddWRT programmer, maybe it does?
trisk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 19:54    Post subject: Re: dd wrt with TP Link 1043 Reply with quote
davidreaton wrote:
After about 12 hours, all wireless connection have dropped, and the SSID broadcast has stopped. Logging on to the router and all looks OK. If I go to the wireless tab, and click APPLY SETTINGS, the wireless starts up and everything is OK for another 12 hours. Please note - even if I have not changed any settings, clicking APPLY SETTINGS solves the problem.
I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms with 15778 and 15962. Every 10-20 hours (it does not appear to be consistently 12 hours), the AP seems to just stop transmitting completely (observable with a hardware signal meter) until wireless on the device reconfigured.
tobias111
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
same problem here.. reported this bug: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/1975
johanPO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
tobias111 wrote:
same problem here.. reported this bug: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/1975

Hi Guys,

there seems to be a message on tracker that this is a Atheros problem.

I am not sure what to make out of that. Do I have to downgrade to the the original TP-LINK FW to get rid of this?

I must say that I am pretty new to DD-WRT and I have hardly started playing around with it, and I am really impressed with what I have seen! I like this, it is so much more configurable then my old D-Link..

However if this is not going to be resolved, but we have to wait for Artheros then I will have to look at some other solution...

Cheers
flashmatters
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
The wireless drops all the time. I have tried DD-WRT build 14896 and 16214 which were not as stable as the stock TP-Link firmware 3.12.2. I also tried OpenWRT (10.03) which nearly bricked the TL-WR1043ND, to rescue it I had to telnet in and run a couple of commands to get the original firmware back on.

I highly recommend not flashing the TL-WR1043ND. Don't get me wrong, 3rd party firmware is very good, just not for this model of router.

BTW, this is rev 1.7, ymmv.

-
pelle900
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 14929 revision ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/tplink_tl-wr1043nd/ works fine in my router but before this version a lot of features was not stable.

I have been using the router without a single reboot since August 2010 with the 14929 firmware including PPTP-VPN server setup in it which is now very easy to setup in these newer versions of UI. I must say I have had no problem at all with this firmware and router with this firmware version.

Wireless setup is done with Personal WEP2 with AES encryption as this gives the best performance.

The latest version i tried, 15962 from December 2010, sucks big-time if you have public servers on the LAN that you connect through internet DNS names and NAT'ed into the LAN. It seams to be a routing problem because I can't see my own servers if I use internet DNS names to reach them in this version.

I think that the initial long 40 second reset after a flash from the original firmware is the key to success for all DD-WRT installed routers.
If the router behaves crazy then take the time to do a loooong reset on it and reconfigure it from scratch (no restore of backups).
Armethyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did flash now to 14929, today and tomorrow i'll check to see how the wireless is holding up, has anyone managed to fully check for a long period of time and extensive usage, does the wireless stay connected?
Also @anyone who has 14929, do you keep getting wireless TX\RX errors?
pelle900
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

I'm still running "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std" without any complications on WiFi or PPTP VPN.

Remember that it is VERY important to do factory default after flashing. I downgraded a Linksys 54GL once and it behaved very bad before I did a full reset on it. Backup & restore is NOT an option either between different firmware versions so redo it from scratch.

Settings in Wireless:
AP
Mixed
Full 20Mhz

Settings in Wireless security:
WPA2 Personal
AES

155 TX errors in 2 days, no drops ever noticed and in general very stable since I last wrote.

Last test with a new firmware was the one from December 2010. It was NOT stable at all with major failure on VPN.

I have not tried any newer firmware since then even if it would be nice to get a 3G USB dongle to work as I see dd-wrt now have support for that. I have had no time to play with it....

/Pelle

Armethyst wrote:
I did flash now to 14929, today and tomorrow i'll check to see how the wireless is holding up, has anyone managed to fully check for a long period of time and extensive usage, does the wireless stay connected?
Also @anyone who has 14929, do you keep getting wireless TX\RX errors?
Armethyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Pelle,
I still have that issue..
I'll try to go to normal Mixed and not NG Mixed. what about channel? did you choose anything in specific? or set it on automatically?
did you touch anything in the advanced wireless settings? perhaps something to ease the usage of Atheros wireless? (so i've heard about tplinks that their atheros doesn't mix well with the dd wrt fw.)
pelle900
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
No tweaking done at all.

Factory reset and the above settings and I use channel 3 for some unknown reason. Normally 1, 6 or 12 are the ones to use.

You don't use Intel based cards in your laptop and its in that end the problems reside? I had some issues with those drivers i remember until I downloaded the latest one from Intel's homepage. But this was some years ago....

/Pelle
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: