WRT160N & VLAN / Current models with port switch support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kccoyote
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 20:50    Post subject: WRT160N & VLAN / Current models with port switch support Reply with quote
I'm owner of a WRT160N v1.1, currently with FW version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini - build 13064.

I would like to be able to assign one of the LAN ports to the WAN side. I have followed the instructions as described on the wiki as described here, with no luck.

Also, there is no VLAN tab present in the GUI, leading me to believe that this functionality is not available on my router (the nvram set force_vlan_supp=enabled trick makes it appear, but it doesn't work).

I must draw my conclusion for now that it seems to be that this functionality is not possible on a WRT160N V1.1. (I tried the most recent Eko-builds to see if anything has changed in recent builds, but unfortunately not)

My question:
1) is switching ports really not possible on WRT160N V1.1?

And, if the answer is that it is not possible:
2) Is there a modern Linksys N-router, preferably with the same design, that does have this functionality when flashed with DD-WRT?

In order of my preference, these would be:
2a) WRT320N (gigabit switch, so unlikely I think?)
2b) WRT160N (v3 perhaps?)
2c) WRT160NL (no broadcom - does it matter?)
2d) WRT610N (tad expensive, so rather not)
2e) WRT54G2 (g-router, so bottom of the list)

Can anyone confirm from experience that port switching works on any of the above? (please, only when you're 100% sure of it).

Many thanks!

PS I already opened a topic about this more than a year ago - I'm sorry if I should have picked that one up - I thought it would be more appropriate to start a new one.

Last edited by kccoyote on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) You've answered yourself already. No VLAN page by default, not working with forced VLAN page, not working with nvram commands... not working period.

2) The only N spec model I'm sure has working VLAN's is WRT300N and I have to fiddle with nvram variables to make it work.

Gigabit in general has been thought to not have working VLAN's but a few have reported it working via nvram commands on newer models like the WRT610N v2 and WRT320N iirc. There's no guarantees though.

kccoyote
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much for your response.

1) I was afraid of that Sad
2) Is WRT300N the only one you know of because of lack of experience with port switching on the other models or is it really such a niche functionality to demand from a router and therefore so hard to come by?

As it seems I need to go walk the new router path, any input on which current model(s) support(s) port switching is still very much appreciated. I changed the topic title to reflect this sentiment Wink
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
kccoyote wrote:
2) Is WRT300N the only one you know of because of lack of experience with port switching on the other models or is it really such a niche functionality to demand from a router and therefore so hard to come by?

Pretty much all Broadcom based G spec routers had switches that supported VLAN's (a few don't), and their current switching hardware is supposed to. However, there are both hardware and software problems preventing it on most N spec models.

The WRT300N v1.1 is the only N spec model I can be absolutely positive that supports VLAN's because I have it and have reconfigured it to have a 2nd WAN port and a 3rd VLAN with its own subnet and DHCP pool.

kccoyote
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I went out on a limb and bought a WRT160N V3, because I saw a thread where Eko mentioned VLAN was working on V3 since a certain revision.

I flashed the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) mini - build 13575M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko build on it, mentioned on the wiki page for initial flashing and, to my great delight, the vlan tab was available and port switching works!

I basically switched the whole layout of the ports around, where the WAN port on the router is now linked to my lan switch and all the LAN ports on the WRT160N are now essentially a WAN switch.

For reference: I got the version with serial prefix CSE41 and it came with Linksys FW 3.0.02.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: